For a limited time Ontario drivers who purchase new plug in electric vehicles (EVs) and charging stations for private use can take advantage of incentives from the province.
Get up to $8,500 back when you purchase or lease an eligible electric vehicle.
Get up to $1,000 back on the purchase and installation of an eligible charging station.
Program changes have been made as of October 2013. Please read the program requirements carefully.
Ontario Roads Getting Greener Every Day: Over 2,000 EVs and counting!
Green licence plates issued - 2,532
EV Rebates Awarded - 2,018
EV Charging Rebates Awarded - 384
As of August 1, 2014.
Benefits of EV ownership
Help your employees make green transportation choices by providing charging at work.
Purchase Electric Vehicles for your business fleet. Benefits to your company could include:
- making your business operations greener
- saving money (check out Pollution Probe's EV analysis)
- taking advantage of incentives available from the province, such as:
- a rebate on up to 25 fleet EVs per year
- a rebate on a charging station for each fleet vehicle purchased
Dealerships are key sources of information for drivers looking to buy an EV. By promoting EVs, you can:
- help your customers understand the benefits of EVs so they can make more sustainable choices and save money
- help reduce emissions of harmful air pollutants and greenhouse gases in your community
Show customers your green side by installing EV charging for their convenience. It could establish your business as a green destination in your community and give customers one more reason to visit you.
Several major Canadian companies are already leading the way.
Condo boards and Property Managers
Electric car charging will be in high demand in the near future. Condo boards and property management companies that are prepared will stay ahead of the curve.
You can get three LEED points for the installation of EV chargers, helping you maintain a green building and demonstrate your commitment to a sustainable Ontario.
Installing charging in condos can present unique challenges but planning and proper placement will eliminate risks and help keep costs down.
Individuals and Families
Interested in buying an EV for your personal use? Some of the benefits to you could include:
- saving money on fuel and maintenance
- taking advantage of lower electricity rates when you charge your EV at night
- taking advantage of incentives available from the province:
- a rebate of up to $8,500 on a new electric car depending on the vehicle's battery size
- a rebate of up to $1,000 on a private/home charging station for the vehicle
- reducing your tailpipe emissions
- using green licence plates to show your commitment to sustainable transportation. You can also use your green plates to drive with a single occupant in the province's high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes until June 30, 2015.
There are many ways municipalities can promote EVs, from installing public charging and special parking spots for EVs to informing the public about the EVs already in use in your corporate fleet.
The benefits of promoting EVs in your community could include:
- reducing the health and environmental effects of traffic, as EVs emit far fewer harmful air pollutants than regular cars
- reaching municipal greenhouse gas reduction goals
- encouraging EVs as a viable option for your residents' personal transportation needs through visible public charging in your community
Hundreds of Ontarians are already driving electric. Find out more about electric vehicles and their benefits.