Ministry of Transportation / Ministère des Transports
Home > Highway Management > Corridor Management > Entrances to Provincial Highways
Text size Enlarge Text Shrink Text
Search   |  

Entrances to Provincial Highways

The Ministry controls all entrances to provincial highways and all entrances must be constructed to Ministry standards. You may not construct an entrance to a provincial highway without a Ministry Entrance Permit.

Residential Entrances

If you are planning to construct an entrance to a highway from a residential dwelling, a permit may be obtained by submitting the following to the Corridor Management Office:

  1. An Application for Highway Corridor Management Permits form (PDF - 2.3 MB)
  2. 4 copies of the plans for the proposed work
  3. Payment of the entrance permit fee

You also require an entrance permit if you have purchased a property that has an existing access to a provincial highway, as entrance permits do not change ownership with title.

Commercial Entrances

If you are planning to construct an entrance to a highway from a commercial development, upgrade an existing residential entrance to a commercial entrance, or modifying an existing commercial entrance, etc., a permit may be obtained by submitting the following to the Corridor Management Office:

  1. An Entrance Permit application form (PDF - 297KB)
  2. 4 copies of the plans for the proposed work
  3. Payment of the entrance permit fee
  4. Proof that the property in question has been zoned commercial.

All entrance permits are subject to the following standard conditions as well as any site-specific conditions that may apply.

Entrance Permit Conditions

MTO permits are subject to the following conditions and any supplemental conditions established by the Ministry of Transportation at time of issuance.

  1. In addition to the conditions of a permit, the owner must meet all of the requirements of the local municipality and any other agency having jurisdiction.

  2. Work on the installation of the entrance for which a permit is issued must be commenced within 6 months of the date that the permit is issued or the permit shall be void and cancelled by the Ministry.

  3. The holder of a permit must notify the Ministry 48 hours prior to the commencement of construction.

  4. The holder of a permit agrees to protect all survey markers and monuments in the vicinity of the work and agrees to replace any markers or monuments damaged.

  5. All work related to the entrance installation authorized by a permit shall be carried out in accordance with the approved plans, specifications and agreements and subject to the approval of the Ministry. The owner must bear all expense related thereto.

  6. Vegetation on the right-of-way must not be cut or trimmed without the written permission of the Ministry. Any cutting or trimming permitted must only be done under the supervision of the Ministry or its authorized agent at the expense of the owner.

  7. The entrance authorized by a permit shall be designed, constructed and maintained in a manner that prevents surface water being discharged onto the highway, Failure to maintain the entrance in a satisfactory condition may result (n 1he cancellation of this permit.

  8. The owner is responsible for the construction, marking and maintenance of any detours required and for maintaining safety measures for the protection of the public during the construction of any works in respect of this entrance.

  9. The design and specifications of an approved entrance may not be changed without the approval of the Ministry.

  10. The use of an entrance may not be changed. An unauthorized change in the purpose of the entrance may result in the cancellation of the permit.

  11. The owner of a property served by this entrance shall maintain the entrance in accordance with the requirements of the Ministry.

  12. During construction of the entrance the owner shall ensure that the operation of the highway is not interfered with and that the right-of way remains free of debris, earth or other material.

  13. If there is an expiry date named on a permit and a further term is required, an application for renewal of the permit shall be made to the Ministry before the expiry date of this permit. An extension of the expiry date may be approved, approved with additional conditions or denied by the Ministry.

  14. If a permit expires and is not renewed, all works constructed, maintained or operated under this permit, if the Ministry so requests, shall be removed at no cost to the Ministry and the right-of-way shall be restored to its original condition.

  15. A permit may be cancelled at any time for breach of the regulations or conditions of this permit or for such other reasons as the Ministry at its sole discretion deems proper. An entrance permit to a controlled access highway may be revoked at any time upon the Ministry providing an alternative entrance or a local frontage road or such other means of access as the Ministry deems proper and thereupon the entrance authorized by this permit shall be closed. When a permit is revoked for any reason, the property owner served by the entrance shall not be entitled to any compensation or damages by reason of or arising from the revocation of the permit.

  16. If during the life of a permit any Acts are passed or regulations adopted which affect the rights herein granted, the said Acts and regulations shall be applicable to this permit from the date on which they come into force.

  17. The owner shall hold harmless the Ministry for all damages and liabilities caused as a result of the works undertaken pursuant to this permit.

  18. A permit is not transferable from one owner of the property to another. When a new owner acquires the property for which this permit is issued a new permit is required. Each new permit is subject to the standards and conditions applying at the time of issue. A permit transfer fee may be charged.

Entrance Permit Fees

Schedule of Rates

Permit Type Fees Frequency
of Renewals
Residential/Agricultural/Field Entrance $230.00 One time fee
Residential/Agricultural Entrance Permit Transfer No charge
Commercial Entrance $860.00 One time fee
Temporary Commercial Entrance $520.00
Commercial Entrance Permit Transfer No charge
Pave Existing Entrance – Commercial/Residential/Agricultural No charge

All cheques to be issued to "Minister of Finance"

Credit cards are acceptable at most area offices

Top of page   Top of page