On this page, find out how to get updates about winter road conditions in Ontario and read the descriptions used to describe road conditions and visibility.
You can find updates on winter road conditions on the interactive map from the end of October to April each year. Select "road conditions" from the list of topics on the left side of the map.
Reports by region
Road information by phone
For information about provincial roads in Ontario, you can call:
- Provincial call centre : 1-800-268-4686
- In the GTA : 416-235-4686
- Provincial TTY : 1-866-471-8929
- Niagara region TTY : 905-704-2426
Road condition definitions
Road is bare
All wheels of a vehicle are on a bare surface.
Bare includes :
- Bare and dry : most of the road surface is bare.
- Bare and wet : most of the road surface is moist.
Road is partly covered
Two wheels of a vehicle are on a bare surface.
Partly covered includes :
- Partly icy : two wheels on bare surface and other wheels likely on ice.
- Partly snow covered : two wheels on bare surface and other wheels likely on loose snow.
- Partly snow packed : two wheels on bare surface and other wheels likely on snow bonded with the road
Road is covered
All wheels of a vehicle are on snow or ice.
Covered includes :
- Icy : all wheels are on ice.
- Snow covered : all wheels are on loose snow.
- Snow packed : all wheels are on snow bonded to road.
Visibility is good
Visibility is more than 500 metres over the entire section.
Visibility is fair
Visibility is between 250 and 500 metres at specific locations.
Visibility is poor
Visibility is reduced to less than 250 metres at specific locations.