Maximum Vehicle Dimensions
- Motor home or truck camper, including load and extensions:
12.5 metres (41 ft).
Note: Motor homes longer than 12.5 m (41 ft), but not exceeding 14 m (45 ft 11 in), including load, may be driven in Ontario if the motor home qualifies for a special over-length permit. For details please contact the ministry by telephone at (416) 246-7166 ext. 6306, fax - (905) 704-2545, e-mail OO.Permit.Department@Ontario.ca, or mail to the Ministry of Transportation, O/O Permits, 3rd Floor, 301 St. Paul Street, St Catharines Ontario L2R 7R4.
This notice is for motor homes owners who have already been issued special over-length permits that expire January 1st, 2010. To extend your current over-length permit until January 1, 2012 simply print a copy of the permit amendment (extension) from the following link (special over-length permit amendment). Attach the printed amendment to your current permit and carry both copies in the vehicle. If you are unable to print a copy of the amendment please contact the O/O. Permit Department at the above address and a copy will be forwarded to you.
Special over-length permit amendment PDF (194 Kb)
- Fifth wheel house trailer:
Contact the ministry for additional conditions for trailers over 48 ft long.
- 14.65 m (48 ft), excluding auxiliary equipment or machinery that extends beyond the front or rear of the trailer and is not designed or used to carry a load, or
- up to 16.2 m (53 ft) if certain conditions are met, i.e. must have air brakes on all wheels of the combination.
- Hitch pull type house trailer:
12.5 m (41 ft), including load.
- Combination of vehicles:
23 m (75' 6").
- Motor home, truck camper, truck, house trailer and dolly:
2.6 m (8'6").
- Motor home, truck camper and house trailer:
4.15 m (13'6").
Mirror Widths and Lengths
The length of mirrors that extend beyond the front of a motor home are not included in the overall length of the vehicle.
The width of mirrors that extend beyond the side of a motor home, truck camper and truck are not included in the overall width of the vehicle.
Mirrors that extend more than 305 mm (12") from the side of a car or SUV must be removed when the vehicle is not towing a trailer. A car or SUV, with extended mirrors installed, cannot exceed 2.6 m (8'6"), even when towing a trailer.