About the program
The Reduced Suspension with Ignition Interlock Conduct Review Program allows eligible drivers convicted of a first-time alcohol-impaired driving offence under the Criminal Code to reduce their licence suspension in return for meeting specific requirements, such as the mandatory installation of an approved ignition interlock device in their vehicle.
You may be eligible for the program if:
- your driver's licence has been suspended for 1 year pursuant to section 41 of the Highway Traffic Act as a result of an alcohol-impaired driving conviction under sections 253, 254, or 255(1) of the Criminal Code(a first offender as determined by the HTA)
- if you meet this requirement but your licence will remain suspended under section 43 of the HTA because of a prohibition order that is longer than one year, you are still eligible for the program
- the circumstances of the offence did not involve impairment by drugs or a combination of drugs and alcohol
- you were not convicted of an offence under section 255 of the Criminal Code where bodily harm or death was caused
- you were not convicted of a drive while disqualified offence under subsection 259(4) of the Criminal Code within the 5 years before your alcohol-impaired driving conviction
- you are not subject to a court order denying you the authorization to drive with an ignition interlock device during the prohibition period
- you were not subject to an ignition interlock licence condition on the date of the offence
- you have not previously been granted a reduction to 10 years of an indefinite licence suspension
To apply for the program, you need to:
- complete the assessment component of the required remedial measures program
- sign a lease agreement for an ignition interlock device with an approved ignition interlock service provider – there are currently two approved service providers
Before successfully entering the program, you must pay all outstanding fees. All other active suspensions must have expired or been removed.
Eligible drivers will receive an individualized information package from the Ministry of Transportation with information on how to meet the requirements for entry into the program. The package will include application instructions and identify the mandatory periods of suspension and interlock installation and the timelines that must be met to enter the program.
Drivers participating in the program will be in one of two streams:
- Stream "A": licence suspension period reduced to a minimum of 3 months, followed by a minimum 9-month ignition interlock installation period
- Stream "B": minimum licence suspension of 6 months and a minimum interlock installation period of 12 months
Drivers who are not eligible for or who choose not to participate in the program will be subject to the standard sanctions under the Highway Traffic Act.
Standard HTA sanctions for first-time offenders:
Reduced Suspension with Ignition Interlock Conduct Review Program – Stream "A":
Reduced Suspension with Ignition Interlock Conduct Review Program – Stream "B":
* For a first offence, the Criminal Code provides an absolute minimum prohibition period of 3 months, during which a driver may not have access to the program. The Court may increase this period.
** The minimum ignition interlock installation period is determined in reference to the length of the driving prohibition period ordered by the Court. The Criminal Code provides for a driving prohibition period of 1 to 3 years for a first-time alcohol-impaired driving conviction. The ignition interlock installation period will not end before the driving prohibition period expires.
To be able to enter the program in Stream "A", you must meet the program's eligibility requirements and:
- enter a plea of guilty to the offence
- be convicted, sentenced and subject to a driving prohibition order within 90 days of the date of offence, even if the offence occurred more than 90 days before the date of sentence
Before the absolute minimum probation period expires, you must also:
- successfully complete the assessment component of the required remedial measures program
- establish proof of a lease agreement for an approved ignition interlock device
Drivers should register for the remedial measures program immediately upon conviction and request an assessment when they register to make sure they can complete this requirement for entry into Stream "A".
If you are eligible for the program but don't meet all of the requirements for Stream "A", you may be eligible to enter the Program in Stream "B".
The program is performance-based, and all ignition interlock activity will be recorded and monitored. Every 60 days, participants must return to the ignition interlock service provider to download interlock data and calibrate the device.
Performance failures include:
- blowing over the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) fail point of 0.02
- missing a random rolling re-test
Performance failures in the last 3 months of the ignition interlock installation period will extend the installation period by 3 months from the current expiry date.
Violations during the ignition interlock installation period will result in removal from the program and re-suspension. Violations include:
- failing to install an approved ignition interlock device within 30 days of conditional licence reinstatement
- de-installing the device without authorization
- tampering with the device
- driving a vehicle that is not equipped with an approved ignition interlock device
- missing an appointment with the ignition interlock service provider
- a subsequent Criminal Code driving offence conviction (suspension under HTA ss. 41 or 42)
- "Warn Range" suspensions under HTA s. 48
- 90-day administrative driver's licence suspensions (ADLS) under HTA s. 48.3
- conviction under the HTA or HTA regulation for having a BAC in excess of a prescribed limit (e.g. novice driver Zero BAC requirement)
If you are removed from the program as a result of violations, you will be subject to the full licence suspension period and ignition interlock requirements that would have been applicable without your participation in the program.
You will get credit for the amount of the suspension already served, but you will be required to complete the remedial measures program before you can have your driver's licence reinstated with an ignition interlock licence condition for a minimum of 1 year.
When you have an ignition interlock device installed by the service provider, you are required to sign a participant agreement acknowledging the terms and conditions of the installation. Please note that penalties may arise from violating a participant agreement with the service provider. Please contact your service provider for further information regarding terms and conditions.
At the end of the ignition interlock installation period, you can exit the program and receive an unconditional licence if you meet the following requirements:
- successful completion of the remedial measures program, which can take 11 months to complete
- the final interlock data download has been received from the ignition interlock service provider and does not indicate any violations or performance failures. The final data download will not be accepted if your licence is suspended at the time of the final appointment.
If these requirements aren't met, the ignition interlock installation period and regular monitoring of performance will continue.
For more information
For more information contact the Ministry of Transportation at: