Ontario’s new ONroute highway service centres - construction schedule
Construction work is well underway at the Barrie highway service centre on Highway 400 northbound and at the Highway 401 Cambridge North westbound and Cambridge South eastbound highway service centres. Barrie is the 17th Cambridge North is the 18th, and Cambridge South is the 19th service centre scheduled for redevelopment over the remaining term of the project. To date, 16 ONroute centres have opened across Ontario.
Twenty of Ontario’s 23 centres are being modernized to meet the changing needs of today’s highway travellers. The service centres were built in the 1960s, and while three centres were rebuilt in the 1990s, the other 20 are being updated to reflect travel expectations and to provide better parking, more comfortable and accessible restrooms and restaurants and tourist information.
View a map of Ontario’s new ONroute highway service centre locations to see which centres are fully open, and which centres are closed, or use the Ontario TRIP. In the navigation list at the left of the map, under Traveller Info, select the service centres box. The Service Centres will appear as black and white S signs. Click the signs to view the status of each centre.
Tilbury South Tourist Information Centre
The Ontario highway service centres are being redeveloped in four phases.
Seven highway service centres are now fully open under Phase 1 to provide travellers with restaurants, fresh foods, fuel, washrooms, parking, tourist information and convenience stores. These centres are located at:
- Bainsville (westbound lanes), near the Quebec/Ontario border
- Tilbury South (eastbound), between Windsor and Chatham Kent
- Tilbury North (westbound), between Chatham Kent and Windsor
- Trenton North (westbound), between Trenton and Cobourg
- Dutton (eastbound), between Chatham Kent and London
- Morrisburg (eastbound), between Prescott and Cornwall and
- West Lorne (westbound), between London and Chatham Kent.
Eight highway service centres under Phase 2 are now fully open to provide travellers with restaurants, fresh foods, fuel, washrooms, parking, tourist information and convenience stores. These centres are located at:
- Trenton South (eastbound), between Cobourg and Trenton
- Ingleside (westbound), between Cornwall and Morrisburg
- Mallorytown North (westbound), between Ingleside and Kingston
- Napanee (westbound), between Belleville and Kingston
- Odessa (eastbound), between Kingson and Belleville
- Port Hope (eastbound), near Port Hope
- Woodstock (eastbound), between Ingersoll and Woodstock
- Mallorytown South (eastbound), between Kingston and Cornwall
Includes the Barrie - northbound and Cookstown - southbound service centres along Highway 400.
The Barrie service centre closed October 19, 2010 to allow for site cleanup and remediation.
Barrie – Highway 400 northbound
Start of pre-construction: Early Spring 2012
Revised full opening: July 30, 2013
Note: : During pre-construction work at the Barrie site it was determined that further property assessment was required.
The Cookstown service centre remains fully operational at this time. Closing date for the existing site is February 1, 2013. Construction and opening timelines for the new facility will be announced once the cleanup and decommissioning work has been completed.
Cookstown – Highway 400 southbound
Start of construction: TBA
Projected full opening: TBA
Includes Cambridge North - westbound, Cambridge South - eastbound along Highway 401, and King City - northbound, along Highway 400.
One highway service centre under Phase 4 is now fully open to provide travellers with restaurants, fresh foods, fuel, washrooms, parking, tourist information and convenience stores. This centre is located at:
King City (northbound), between Maple and King City.
Both the Cambridge North and South sites closed for redevelopment September 7, 2011.
Cambridge North – Highway 401 westbound
Start of construction: August 2012
Revised full opening: June 25, 2013
Cambridge South – Highway 401 eastbound
Start of construction: October 2012
Revised full opening: July 23, 2013