Commercial vehicles home

Commercial vehicle operator's registration (CVOR)
Commercial vehicle operators in Ontario must have a valid Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR) certificate. Find out whether you need a CVOR and how the program works.

Get or renew a CVOR certificate
Find out how to apply for or renew a CVOR certificate.

Commercial vehicle safety requirements
Learn about the safety requirements for commercial motor vehicles operating in Ontario.

Commercial vehicle operators safety manual (PDF - 4.71 MB)
The Carrier Safety and Enforcement Branch of the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario has prepared this guide to assist and ensure that truck and bus companies (commercial-vehicle operators) operate safely and are compliant with the regulations that govern highway use.

Farm Guide - Farm Equipment on the Highway (PDF - 817 KB)
This guide has been developed to provide general information and clarification for the laws that apply to farm equipment and select provisions that apply to farm trucks.

Commercial vehicles - frequently asked questions
FAQs about rules and requirements for commercial vehicles in Ontario.

Load restrictions
Under the Highway Traffic Act, the province enforces reduced load restrictions on trucks to protect Ontario's highways during spring thaw, when road damage is most likely to occur.

Motor vehicle inspection stations
The Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (MVIS) program governs safety standards certificates, structural inspection certificates and annual and semi-annual inspection certificates and stickers.

Oversize/overweight permits
Carriers must apply for permits to operate or transport oversized or overweight vehicles and loads. Learn about the different kinds of oversize/overweight permits and how to apply.

International Registration Plan
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a US-based plan that allows for the distribution of registration fees for commercial vehicles travelling inter-jurisdictionally through member states and provinces.

Medical standards for class G drivers driving for commercial purposes in the US
Starting April 1st, 2016, Canadian drivers with G licenses must meet new medical standards to operate commercial vehicles in the United States.

Vehicle Validation Fee

Long Combination Vehicle (LCV) Program – Frequently Asked Questions
The LCV program allows a limited number of commercial drivers to pull two full-sized semi-trailers on designated Ontario highways. Learn more about Ontario's Long Combination Vehicle Program and the rules that carriers and drivers must follow to operate LCVs in Ontario.

Back to Top