Ministry of Transportation / Ministère des Transports
Text size Enlarge Text Shrink Text
Search Search  |  

Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR)

Get or renew a CVOR certificate

Operators registered in Ontario must keep a copy of a valid CVOR certificate in each truck and bus they operate in Ontario. Find out how to apply for a CVOR certificate.

Apply for an original CVOR certificate

To apply for a CVOR certificate, an operator must:

On the application, you will need to provide information about the operator, such as:

  • the type of operation
  • corporate officers
  • directors and partners
  • estimated fleet size and kilometres travelled for the upcoming year
  • if operating currently, your actual fleet size and kilometres travelled in the past year
  • an authorized signature

Additional documents may be required for new applicants.

If you need to write the CVOR written test, the ministry will notify you by sending a letter. This letter will give you instructions on how to proceed.

If you don't need to write the test, the ministry will continue to process your application.

CVOR written test

If required, new operators will need to pass the CVOR written test in person at a DriveTest centre. It will test your knowledge of Ontario's safety laws. You should complete the CVOR test after the ministry has accepted your application for a CVOR certificate and you have received the "CVOR Test Required Letter".

Preparing for the CVOR test

The CVOR test is multi-choice and based on the content of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator's Safety manual. You can also prepare by completing the CVOR practice test.

Practice CVOR test

Receiving the CVOR certificate

After you have fulfilled all the application requirements, your CVOR certificate will be mailed to you. You must put a copy of the certificate in each of the vehicles operating under that CVOR certificate.

Renew a CVOR certificate

All CVOR certificates have an expiry date and must be renewed before they expire. The renewal fee is $50.

Operators must renew their registration yearly or every two years, depending on their safety rating:

  • Unsatisfactory or conditional: renew each year
  • Satisfactory or excellent: renew every 2 years

Operators will be sent a notice of expiry and a renewal application 60 days prior to expiry. You must return the renewal application to the ministry 15days before the expiry date.

You must complete the following on the CVOR renewal form or your renewal application will be returned without being processed:

  1. total number of vehicles
  2. kilometres traveled in Ontario
  3. kilometres traveled in the rest of Canada
  4. kilometres traveled in United States and Mexico
  5. number of drivers,
  6. signature on pages 4 and 6

You will need to provide the actual number of vehicles operated and kilometres travelled for the past year, as well as estimates for the upcoming year.

Replace a CVOR certificate

To replace a lost or stolen CVOR certificate:

  1. complete Section 1 of the application/change of information form
  2. submit your application and the $5 fee by mail to the address on the form

Fees for CVOR certificates

Fees for CVOR certificate
To apply for an original CVOR certificate $250
To renew a CVOR certificate each renewal period $50
To re-instate a CVOR certificate after it has been invalid for more than 12 months $250
CVOR written test $32
Replacement CVOR certificate $5

Contact the ministry

By mail :

Ministry of Transportation
Carrier Sanctions and Investigation Office
301 St. Paul Street, 3rd Floor
St. Catharines, Ontario, L2R 7R4

By phone : 416-246-7166 ext 6300 or 1-800-387-7736 (within Ontario)

By fax : 905-704-2039 or 905-704-2525

Recommended for you