Ministry of Transportation / Ministère des Transports
Home > Trucks > Trucks Handbook > Keeping your licence > Changing your name or address
Text size Enlarge Text Shrink Text
Search   |  
I. Keeping your licence
Changing your name or address

You must tell the Ministry of Transportation within six days of changing your name or address. You will need a new licence when you change your address. You can change your address on the ServiceOntario website at, or you can take the change of information to a ServiceOntario centre, or mail it to the Ministry of Transportation, P.O. Box 9200, Kingston, ON K7L 5K4. The ministry will send you a new licence. When you get it, destroy your old licence and carry the new one with you whenever you drive.

If you change your name, you need a new licence. Take the documents you must show and your current licence to a ServiceOntario centre. A new photograph will be taken.

You will get a temporary licence to use until your permanent licence is mailed to you. Carry it with you whenever you drive.

There is no charge for getting a new licence because you change your name or address. The chart on the previous page shows the documents you will need to change your name on your driver’s licence.

name change chart