The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a US-based plan that allows for the distribution of registration fees for commercial vehicles travelling inter-jurisdictionally through member states and provinces.
The program provides blanket registration for trucks and buses as an alternative to individual reciprocity agreements. It distributes registration fees among member jurisdictions based on the number of kilometres carriers travel in other jurisdictions. Registered vehicles have one licence plate and registration document that allows travel in all jurisdictions.
All carriers travelling outside Ontario should register in IRP if they have vehicles with:
- a gross weight over 11,793 kg
- 3 or more axles, regardless of weight
Otherwise, these carriers will need to purchase trip permits to travel outside Ontario.
More information about IRP can be found on the IRP website.
Carriers may submit or fax IRP applications to their local IRP Offices (See list of offices in “Instructions for Completing Forms” below) or access the IRP Online Services if you are currently registered for online services. Contact the IRP Office to confirm which documents you need to attach. A list of office locations and contact information is available in the IRP carrier manual.
Once the IRP office receives an application, it will be processed and you will receive a fee notice. If you need to make any changes, contact the IRP office and send in a revised application. Once you're satisfied with your application, you can make a payment at the IRP office.
You will receive credentials in person by IRP staff or by mail. Courier service is available at your expense. Any original documents required for the transaction must be made available to the IRP office before you can receive your credentials.
- Form 1 - Carrier Fleet Information (PDF - 2.08 MB)
- Form 2 - Fleet Distance Declaration - Fleet effective date PRIOR to January 1, 2015 (PDF - 1.91 MB)
- Form 2 - Fleet Distance Declaration - Fleet effective date ON or AFTER January 1, 2015 (PDF - 1.43 MB)
- Form 3 – Gross Vehicle Weight Schedule (PDF - 1.43 MB)
- Form 4 - Vehicle Information (PDF - 1.43 MB)
- Instructions for completing Forms 1 through 4 of the IRP Application (PDF - 995 KB)
- Established Place of Business Questionnaire (PDF - 40 KB)
- Estimated Distance Declaration (PDF - 1.44 MB)
- New - Prepaid Account Form (PDF - 1.43 MB)
- New - Service Provider Authorization Form (PDF - 1.43 MB)
- New - User Account Form (PDF - 1.44 MB)
- Please contact the program office to obtain Carrier Manual
Change to IRP: Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP)
As of January 1, 2015, the International Registration Plan (IRP) is changing to incorporate the Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP). FRP will eliminate the concept of estimated distance and use actual distance travelled by a fleet in each of the jurisdictions visited.
Any carrier whose registration year begins on or after January 1, 2015, will be subject to FRP provisions, regardless of when the renewal application was processed. This includes supplements created (i.e. adding a new vehicle or transferring an existing vehicle) after a fleet has been renewed on January 1, 2015.
The full reciprocity plan will make IRP more equitable and more flexible:
- members can operate in any IRP jurisdiction without making changes to the cab card
- cab cards will list every jurisdiction
- fees will be assessed on the actual distance travelled in the previous year
- carriers will pay only for the jurisdictions in which they travel
- adding jurisdictions to the cab card
- fees over 100%
- trip permits for IRP carriers
New – Prepaid Account Form
Use this form to set-up a pre-paid account with IRP in order to make payments. Prepaid accounts will allow carriers to pre-load funds on their IRP account to enable them to pay for transactions without having to visit an IRP Office.
Pre-payments to the carriers account must include the IRP account number, currency type (US or CAN) and may be made by cheque, credit card, debit card, money order or cash for Canadian funds and cheque, money order or cash for US funds.
New – Online Services
IRP Online Services is a free internet-based service offered by the Ministry of Transportation that allows IRP carriers based in Ontario to quickly and accurately complete registrations online instead of manually preparing and mailing forms.
IRP Online Services is available to existing IRP carriers only. If you are currently registered in the IRP Program, please contact the IRP Program Office at 416-235-3923 or email@example.com for information on applying for an online account.
International Fuel Tax Agreement
All carriers who use a vehicle in Ontario for carrying passengers or goods across jurisdictions are required to pay tax on fuel consumed in the province.
Carriers that register their vehicles under the IRP must also register under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) if the gross vehicle weight exceeds 11,797 kg or 26,000 lbs. Vehicles below that weight are not required to register in the IFTA, but they may register in the IRP.
Contact the program office
For general information, please contact the IRP office:
By phone: 416-235-3923 or 1-866-587-6770 (within Ontario)
By fax: 416-235-3924 or 1-866-587-6771 (within Ontario)
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org