Ontario is showing its support for electric vehicles (EVs) by offering up to $1,000 to help you purchase and install charging stations for home or business use. Find out whether you're eligible and how to apply for a rebate.
If you have already received the provincial rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle, you are eligible for a rebate to support the purchase of a Level 2 charging station. You can plug your car into a regular household outlet but upgrading to a Level 2 (220V, 30amps) station, connected to the same type of plug you need for a dryer or stove, will let you charge your car faster.
- Level 1 - (110 V) AC
- Level 2 - (220 V) AC
- Level 3 - (480 V) DC
The rebate covers:
50% of the purchase cost, up to $500
50% of the installation cost, up to $500 (a maximum value of $1,000)
Individuals and organizations who have purchased an EV and received a rebate can apply for the charging station rebate. You can request one charging rebate for each vehicle rebate you received.
To receive a rebate, your charging station must:
- be for residential or business vehicle use (not for public or customer use)
- have a nominal voltage rating of 208-240 V (Level 2) only
- be designed to charge one car at a time. Dual port charging stations are not eligible unless you have received two vehicles and two rebates
- be on the list of eligible charging stations
- have been purchased in Canada from a Canadian source (i.e. third-party certified or evaluated by cUL, CSA or cETL
Expenses eligible for a rebate include:
- the purchase price of the charging station
- the costs associated with installing the unit by a Licensed Electrical Contractor
- To find a Licensed Electrical Contractor in your area, please visit the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)'s website
- the cost associated with an electrical inspection undertaken by ESA
You will need to provide proof of installation by showing your certificate of inspection issued by the ESA. The certificate can be obtained from the electrical contractor who installed the charging station or from the ESA if the installation was completed by an employee or a homeowner.
Add a charging station to the list
If you are a charging station manufacturer you may download an application (PDF - 1.44 MB) to qualify a charging station for the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program.
Apply for a rebate
You need to apply within three months from the date you bought your charging station.
To apply, you will need to provide the following:
- A completed and signed application form (PDF - 1.44 MB) for the EV Charging Incentive Program.
- A copy of your charging station receipt.
- A copy of the installation receipt, if your charging station was installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
- A copy of the Certificate of Inspection.
Mail these documents to the address shown on the application form.
Enquiries about the Electric Vehicle and Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program application processes should be directed to 1-866-668-8297.
For questions regarding the registration of your electric vehicle, including green vehicle license plates, or questions on the overall EV programs, please contact the Ministry of Transportation at 416-585-7285 or toll-free 1-866-767-0638.
Recommended for you
- Download the application form (PDF - 1.46 MB)
- Consult the application guide for complete program details (PDF - 626 KB)
- Learn more about charging an electric vehicle