The province is putting its new Climate Change Strategy into action and demonstrating its commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Ontario. Through this Strategy, the Province is reducing emissions from transportation by promoting the adoption of battery electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. A shift to low- and zero-emission vehicles is vital to the fight against climate change and an important opportunity for technological innovation.
In 2010, the Electric Vehicle Incentive Program (EVIP) was introduced to support the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs), to reward early adopters, and to create market demand for new technology. To further support the goals of Ontario’s Climate Change Strategy and promote increased EV adoption, new EVIP program parameters were developed to make EVs even more affordable. The new EVIP is effective February 10, 2016.
The EVIP has been modernized to:
- make EVs more affordable;
- provide additional incentives for vehicles with large batteries and greater capacity to carpool;and
- to cap incentive amounts for luxury vehicles.
These changes will serve to encourage faster EV adoption and contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions from our transportation sector.
Electric Vehicle Incentive Program (EVIP)
EVIP is an application-based grant program that helps make EVs more affordable for Ontarians by providing a financial incentive for the purchase or lease of eligible new EVs. The value of the incentive is based on the vehicle's battery capacity, seating capacity and manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). New plug-in hybrid electric and battery electric vehicles approved by MTO are eligible for the EVIP.
To apply and for additional information, please refer to the Program Guide and Application Form:
- Electric Vehicle Incentive Program Guide (PDF - 625 KB)
- Eligible Electric Vehicle Incentives
- Modernized Electric Vehicle Incentive Program - FAQs
- Electric Vehicle Incentive Program Application Form (PDF - 1.49 MB)
- Electric Vehicle Incentive Program New Eligible Vehicle Submission Form (PDF - 1.44 MB)
- Electric Vehicle Incentive Program Extended Mileage Demonstrator Vehicle Application(PDF - 1.44 MB)
- Ontario Making Electric Vehicles More Affordable (February 10, 2016 news release)