Vehicles home

For more information on driver's licences, please visit driver licence page at

Register a vehicle
How to register a vehicle in Ontario and get a vehicle permit, licence plate and licence plate sticker.

Register and insure a vehicle in Ontario
Here are some answers to common questions about vehicle permits, licence plates and validation stickers.

Get an accessible parking permit
How to get an accessible parking permit. Vehicles used by people with disabilities need to display the permit to park in an accessible parking space.

Road-Building Machines
Effective July 1, 2017: Changes related to road-building machines. Vehicles that no longer meet the updated definition of a road-building machine are considered commercial motor vehicles and subject to requirements including, but not limited to vehicle registration, motor vehicle insurance and Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration.

Driving a low-speed vehicle
What you need to know about driving a low-speed vehicle (LSV) in Ontario.

Electric Kick-Style Scooters (e-scooters)
Effective January 1, 2020 a new pilot to permit Electric Kick Scooters (e-scooters) on Ontario’s roads will be in place.

About low carbon vehicles
Find out what a low carbon vehicle is, why you might want to drive one and where you can get more information.

Buy or sell a used vehicle in Ontario
Know the steps you need to take to buy or sell a used vehicle in Ontario.

Personalized licence plate
How to order a personalized licence plate for your vehicle.

Replacing Plates and Stickers
How can I replace a lost, stolen, or damaged licence plate or personalized licence plate?

Manufacturer Licence Plate, Dealer Plate and Service Plate
How to obtain a Manufacturer, Dealer or Service Plate and information on eligibility/use of plate.

Register a motor home
Before you drive a vehicle on Ontario roads, you need to register it. This page will tell you what you need to do to register your motor home.

Slow-moving vehicle signs
A slow-moving vehicle (SMV) sign warns other road users that your vehicle is moving at 40 km/hour or less. Find out if you need one and how to display it on your vehicle.

Vehicle impoundment
How vehicle impoundment works in Ontario and what to do if your vehicle is impounded.

Personal mobility devices: wheelchairs and medical scooters
What you need to know to use personal mobility devices in Ontario, such as wheelchairs or medical scooters.

Mandatory vehicle branding program
Ontario's mandatory vehicle branding program assigns brands to vehicles that indicate whether they have been severely damaged in the past.

Mandatory vehicle branding program - frequently asked questions
FAQs about Ontario's mandatory vehicle branding program.

Find a type 6 motor vehicle inspection station
A type 6 Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (MVIS) is a collision repair facility licensed by the Ministry of Transportation. Check this page to find a type 6 inspection station in Ontario.

Submit a claim if your vehicle is damaged and MTO is responsible
Please be sure to submit your claim within 10 days of the incident occurring. It is also important to note that there is a two-year limitation period to bring action (i.e. begin a legal proceeding) regarding such claims.

Automated Vehicles - Driving Innovation in Ontario
AVs are driverless or self-driving vehicles that are capable of detecting the surrounding environment using artificial intelligence, sensors and global positioning system coordinates.

Three-Wheeled Vehicles
New pilot to permit three-wheeled vehicles (TWVs) on Ontario’s roads.

Back to Top